1) Committee Roles
Catarina Almeida, Department of Microbiology and Immunology (DMI) & Ankur Singh, Melbourne School of Population and Global Health, Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences
- Convene ECR meetings
- Collect items for agenda for ECR meetings (with Secretary)
- Set agenda for ECR meetings (with Secretary)
- Represent ECR Network to Faculty (on the MDHS Executive Committee)
Aim: The Co-chairs will work together to act as ECR leaders to drive action by the ECR Council and Committee members and act as an advocate for the ECR Network and ECR interests with Faculty. Will work closely with Secretary.
Hui-Fern Koay, Department of Microbiology and Immunology (DMI), Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences
- Collect items for agenda for Council meetings (with Chairperson)
- Set agenda for Council meetings (with Chairperson)
- Collect apologies for meetings
- Read previous minutes for approval
- Record Council meeting minutes
- Distribute minutes to Council with action items highlighted
Aim: Co-ordinate communication within the Council and Committees. Will work closely with Chairperson.
Ebrahim Bani Hassan, Department of Medicine (AIMSS) and Department of Veterinary Science, Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences
- Report each Council meeting on the finances of the ECR Network
- Prepare reports on costs for each event
- Handle funds that are generated from events
- Prepare a yearly budget for the ECR network
- Liase with Faculty regarding budget
Aim: Co-ordinate finances of the ECR Network, will work closely with Faculty funding sources and liase with Sponsorship Committee regarding incoming gifts/donations.
Head – Chris Harpur
- Sponsorship Officer to report each Council meeting on sponsorship interactions
- Committee to meet and manage sourcing of sponsorship
- Approach companies to establish funding sources
- Work with Treasurer to maintain funding stream
- Work with Events Committee to establish appropriate events
Aim: Canvas external sources of funding to generate travel grants and small equipment grants and co-ordinate events to distribute such funds
Head – Humaira Maheen
- Events Officer to report each Council meeting on completed and upcoming events of the ECR Network
- Committee to meet and prepare events
- Liase with Treasurer re. event budgets
- Liase with Helen Edwards re. event co-ordination
- Prepare advertising for events
- Liase with the Communications Committee re. advertising
- Execute/participate in events
- Canvas new network members at event
- Co-ordinate with all other committees
Aim: Co-ordinate event organisation and execution for ECR Network
Communications and Outreach Committee
Head – Nicole Wiedmann
- Communications/Outreach Officer to report each Council meeting on communication-related issues of the ECR Network and on outreach events and relationships
- Committee to meet and manage external communications
- Create ECR brand
- Manage Twitter account
- Manage Facebook account
- Create ECR website
- Manage website
- Maintain listserv
- Canvas for new members
- Run and online suggestion box
- Regularly canvas internally for new ECR network recruits
- Engage with ECR committees at affiliated institutes
- Engage with ECR committees more broadly within Australia
- Engage with professional societies and organisations
- Engage with the public: schools, community groups
- Collect information about opportunities for engagement
- Feed information to the Communications committee
- Work with Events committee to establish appropriate events
Aims: Manage the external communications of the ECR Council/Committees to ECR network members and the public. Ensure engagement more broadly between the ECR network and the Parkville precinct, Australian scientific communities and public groups
We encourage ECR members to forward on information for publication in the newsletter and posting on Twitter/Facebook
3) Structure and process
ECR Network Committee membership will reflect ECRs across MDHS, with representation sought from all Schools, Departments and affiliated Institutes.
To distribute the workload, the ECR Network leadership will comprise of a Council and several Committees focused on specific activities.
The Council will comprise of two Co-Chairs, a Secretary, a Treasurer and others representing the subcommittees.
The role of the Co-Chairs will be elected. Other council roles will be selected by each committee. The Committees will consist of self-nominated individuals.
Council roles would entail a two year commitment:
- In Year 1, members would function in their primary role
- In Year 2, members would function to support the incoming member, in an advisory/mentoring role.
The Council will initially meet once a month, on a date to be determined at the first meeting. Subsequent meetings may be more regularly as necessary. Meetings are open to all.
The Committees will be Sponsorship, Events, Communications and Outreach. While Committees have specific roles, they are intended to work together to facilitate ECR Network objectives.
The Committees will initially meet once a month, on a date to be determined at the first meeting. Subsequent meetings may be more regularly as necessary.